Please define/explain each of the concepts below using any
tool you need (the internet, dictionary, etc.).
- The “Explanatory Gap:”
- The “Hard Problem” of Consciousness:
- Phenomenal Consciousness:
Words that we don’t know/understand:
Analytic Reading and Study Questions
Author’s Thesis statement/main point:
Nagel, “What Is It Like to Be a Bat?”
- According to Nagel, what makes the mind-body problem “intractable?” 
- What does Nagel mean by “the subjective character of experience”? [middle-to-bottom 403]
- Why can’t the “subjective character of experience” be reduced to something physical? 
- Do you agree that bats have experiences? If so, why? If not, why? 
- Can Batman have the same kind of subjective experiences a bat has?
- Does Nagel believe in the existence of facts beyond the reach of human concepts? 
- According to Nagel, how does reflection on what it is like to be a bat relate to the mind-body problem? [406-407]